Do you have the vision and desire to start your own Health Coaching business? With conscientious planning, good marketing and guidance from people who have been there, you too can start a thriving business – and 2021 is the perfect year to get started.
Today more than ever, healthcare is in crisis and people are searching for health coaches to work with. The massive rise in chronic disease, escalating medical costs, and conventional medicine’s limitations have caused the demand for Health Coaches to skyrocket.
If you want to start a fulfilling career that the world truly needs, here are five tips to help get your Health Coaching business off the ground:
#1 – Write a business plan
A good business plan will keep you on track with your spending and finances, is a necessity for financial loans, and helps you define your niche. Your business plan should describe in detail how you will meet your goals as a new business. This will guide both your immediate and long-term business objectives. Whether you’re a new health coach or a seasoned professional, a business plan is a necessity. Your plan should define:
- The service you are providing
- Who your clients are
- How to sell your service to these clients
- Who your competitors are
- What makes your service different than these competitors
- Your business milestones
- Your business funding requirements
- Your forecast for cash flow
#2 – Develop a marketing strategy
Identifying what makes you unique will allow you to standout to your ideal clients. Here are a couple questions you can answer to help you define your niche and attract the right clients for you:
- What is your story?
- What other skills do you bring to the table?
- What do you like?
- What specific problem will you be solving?
- What EXACTLY do you do?
Once you have a sense of your niche, you can use the framework below to tell people what you do, instead of just what you are:
“I am a ___________ who helps ____________ achieve _______________.”
After laying this groundwork, you will want to leverage it to market your business. Here are some basic ways you can start marketing your business:
- Speaking – Start small, like your local grocery store or fitness center and opportunities can grow from there!
- Networking – Be proud of the work you do and choose to share with others – they might just be your next client or know one.
- Referral Partners – Build a network of professionals who can refer you clients, but who you can refer to as well (Yoga Instructors, Chiropractors, Acupuncturists, etc.).
- Social Media – Never underestimate the use of this powerful tool for free promotion! Consider starting a closed Facebook Group as a way to build a community.
And all of this can be done in-person or virtually!
#3 – Build your business brand
Your business brand should reflect what your health coaching business is about and who you are as a person. As Health Coaches, many of us have our own personal story or health issues that lead us to this career. This is absolutely something you can leverage to build your brand.
Be sure to be consistent with your brand across all avenues. Consistency is key, but it should not get in the way of growth. As you grow, your brand can and will evolve with you. It’s important to reassess at the end of each year to make sure your branding is still appropriate for the service you are providing.
#4 – Grow your online presence
Growing your online presence is linked to developing your marketing strategy. Develop your business website and use social media platforms for business exposure. As a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition® Practitioner, you have the opportunity to take your business completely online and work remotely with clients.
Although this means you have an endless potential client base, it is important to establish your online presence, so you don’t miss out on people who may be looking for the services you provide.
Be sure to let people know who you are and what services you offer. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of maximizing your website content’s visibility in search engine rankings. You can learn more about how to utilize SEO to boost your website here.
#5 – Establish your program
Develop your Health Coaching program before you begin any advertising. One of the top questions on every new Health Coach’s mind is how they are going to price their health coaching programs. When thinking about pricing, there are a couple of things you need to take into consideration.
The first thing to think about is the support you will offer in your program such as:
- 1-on-1 Coaching: Number of sessions per month?
- Group Coaching: Offered online or in-person?
- Email or Text Support: Weekly/Biweekly check-ins?
- Diet & Exercise: Recipes, meal plans, video chats?
The second thing to consider is packaging your program with charges:
- Per session: New Health Coaches charge between $50 – $75 per session. More experienced Health Coaches charge $100 – $300 per session.
- Per month: Most Health Coaches offer two sessions per month, with the time ranges from 45 – 60 minutes per session.
- Per Package: Starting at a 3 or 6-month program package, based on the experience of the Health Coach, the charges can range from $1200-$2400 per package.
As a new Health Coach, you may decide to start at a lower price to gain experience, confidence, and client testimonials. Remember, nothing is set in stone and you can adjust your pricing anytime.
Of course, with training as a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition® (FDN Practitioner), you will have the skills, tools, credibility and leadership to separate yourself from other practitioners or health coaches. This is why FDN Health Coaches never run out of potential clients, making them the most successful in the world of health and wellness.