What are the job opportunities and outlook for health coaches?
Each year more and more individuals are looking for alternate options for health care. And, with a rise in diseases like obesity1 and diabetes2, so it’s no wonder people are turning to health coaches to offer new types of treatment.
The Job Market Outlook
What are the Job Opportunities Available to Me?
One of the many options for Health Coaches is starting their own private practice. This path allows you to set your own hours, be your own boss, and focus on a specific type of clientele. This path may not be a starting option for everyone, as it requires knowledge of running your own business. This option can also be done together with normal work.
Many gyms are expanding their doors and services to include Health Coaches. These gyms have recognized the need to provide additional services other than personal training. Health coaches fit well into gyms by offering tools and advice to clients looking to change their habits and make healthy lifestyle changes. You may create workout programs, diet plans, or help clients on the floor of the gym to meet their goals.
Hospitals & Doctor's Offices
Most traditional hospitals and doctor’s offices are including Health Coaches in their treatment options. This path creates an excellent entry point into the field and can give you the necessary experience to create your own practice in the future.
You may have patients referred to you or you may refer patients to the doctor. You’ll act as an advocate for the patient and support the doctor’s orders to aid the client towards a healthier lifestyle. You might work with upwards of 100 clients one-on-one, develop action plans, and track their progress towards a healthier lifestyle.
Corporations are starting to understand the role health and wellness play in their employees’ productivity and overall work satisfaction. With this path, you can expect to do one-on-one and group coaching sessions. You may work with a team and evaluate everything from what’s being served in the cafeteria, work conditions and even set up support groups.
Remote & Virtual Working Options
As a result of the global pandemic, we saw a rise in remote and virtual work across all career fields. Whether you have your own business or go the traditional route, you might expect to work with patients remotely and virtually. This path allows you to potentially connect with patients around the globe, offering your services and expertise to more people in need.
This position will be much like other positions. You will develop action plans, create goals, and track the progress of your clients. The benefit of remote work is that it can be done from anywhere in the world, reach more clients, and allows for more entrepreneurial endeavors.
Spas & Resorts
Like gyms and corporate entities, health coach positions are popping up in other industries such as spas and resorts. This unique position will vary from business to business on daily activities and responsibilities. Due to the nature of this position, you may not work as closely with clients and be more of an overall consultant, aiding in the creation of programs and packages.
Speciality Healthcare Companies
You may also find positions at specialty healthcare companies that treat specific illnesses and diseases like diabetes or smoking. These positions can be online or in person. You could work at a rehab center helping patients integrate positive habits or even a weight loss center.
Do You Want To Become A Health Coach?
This is just a sample of the career opportunities you can expect as a health coach. There are many different options you can take during your career. As a health coach, you will be helping the lives of many individuals and your community as a whole. If you’re fascinated about becoming a health coach yourself, click here for more information.
- Center For Disease Control And Prevention. Adult obesity facts. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html. Published June 7, 2021. Accessed July 30, 2021.
- Diabetes Research Institute. Diabetes Statistics. Diabetes statistics. https://www.diabetesresearch.org/diabetes-statistics. Published 2020. Accessed July 30, 2021.
- U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics. Health education specialists and community health workers : Occupational Outlook Handbook. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/health-educators.htm. Published June 1, 2021. Accessed July 30, 2021.
- McKay DR. Why you need to know about job outlook. The Balance Careers. https://www.thebalancecareers.com/job-outlook-525656. Published January 4, 2020. Accessed July 30, 2021.
- Kresser C. Your quick guide to build a health coach career. Kresser Institute. https://kresserinstitute.com/your-quick-guide-to-health-coach-job-opportunities/. Published July 12, 2021. Accessed July 30, 2021.
- Health Coach Institute. What kind of opportunities exist for health coaches? Holistic Health and Wellness Training | Health Coach Institute. https://www.healthcoachinstitute.com/coaching/health-coach-opportunities/. Published April 19, 2021. Accessed July 30, 2021.
Topics for today’s show: -Why did you transition from saving the planet to saving people? -How is the schooling to get our certifications? -Then how is your experience as a Health Director/clinician in Southern California? -How do you explain the importance of food sensitivity lab testing with someone who is sick? -Explain why you founded … Tired of Being Sick and Tired? Reed Davis Helps Clients Learn How to Heal Themselves through FDN. Read More »Read More
In today’s episode, I am thrilled to be joined by Evan Transue, AKA Detective Ev. We talk about the power of Functional Diagnostic Nutrition, what it is, and how it could help with any number of chronic health issues, both mental and physical.Read More
When we think of a health warrior, our guest for today’s show, Evan Transue, truly embodies that definition. Defying the odds, Evan overcame numerous health challenges including cystic acne, major depressive disorder, panic disorder among others, and turned them into stepping stones for helping others. His journey is far from ordinary, it’s a tale filled … Unlocking Health Through Nutrition, FDN & More with Evan Transue Read More »Read More